I’ve never seen cinnamon buns sold in New Zealand (except for the cheapo ones from the supermarket bakery).
Even sadder story:
I’ve never made one.
But I have made this Breakfast Stuffed Cinnamon Roll in a Bowl (#thatrhymed)!
Now, you may remember the recipe that I claimed to be the BEST oatmeal recipe EVER… but I think it’s now been beaten.
(Oops, nevermind… this ain’t even oatmeal. Super-sorry apologies to Mr Green Tea and Pomegranate Oatmeal with Walnuts, Figs and Dark Chocolate!)
Well, that was awkward.
Buuuttttttt, this is similar to oatmeal. The only difference (apart from it being a mulit-layered CINNAMON BUN with actual caramel and icing and walnuts and and and perfection) it that instead of oats, it’s oat flour.
Oat flour with cinnamon, sultanas, coconut milk (because is it just me, or does coconut milk in smoothies, nice cream and oatmeal ACTUALLY taste like bread??), maple syrup, vanilla, and a thing I like to call “date water” (if you’re like: “Hmmmmmmm… date water??”) then click here for a little rundown) for added sweetness.
And here’s the best part:
Half of it sits beneath a cinnamon-date-coconut-milk-walnut-sultana mixture, the other half sits on top, and then that is swirled with thick cinnamon-date-date-sultana-walnut stuff, drizzled with a date-water-and-coconut-milk-syrup, and drizzled with more coconut milk, sprinkled with coconut sugar and then topped with walnuts and sultanas.
(I’m glad I didn’t have to physically say that, otherwise I’d have stuffed up after like the fourth word)
Like, sorry for the messy photos but I was doing the old hold-this-in-place-with-this-hand-while-I-take-a-photo-with-that-hand like I did in this post.
Why, because I just HAD to show you that pool of caramel supporting little islands of cinnamon bun.
Oh, one more thing:
This bowl is pretty big and quite rich. Now, please forgive me when I say this, but although I do have a sweet tooth, its tolerance is limited. And I’m sure that in the back of your minds some of you, yes SOME of you – are the same. So IF you’re not one to handle loads of richness and sweetness, you’d be best to halve this recipe or share it with a special someone :).
But if not, eat the whole thing!
(In the pictures, my bowl contains the whole thing – just so you get a gauge on how much it makes)
Now back to serious-ness, let’s make this thaaang.
BREAKFAST STUFFED CINNAMON ROLL IN A BOWL
Yields 1 large serving or 2 small servings
FOR THE BREAD OATMEAL
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1-1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk (start with 1 cup, and if you need more later, you can add it)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp sultanas
- 1 1/2 tsp date water (from soaking the dates for the Cinnamon Caramel)
FOR THE CINNAMON CARAMEL
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp dates*, soaked in water to cover overnight* (DO NOT DRAIN!)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp date water (from soaking the dates above)
- 2 tbsp canned coconut milk
- 3 tbsp walnut pieces
- 2/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sultanas
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 tbsp date water (from soaking the dates above)
- 3 tbsp canned coconut milk
FOR THE CINNAMON SUGAR
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp coconut sugar
- extra canned coconut milk
- extra walnut pieces
- extra ground cinnamon
- Combine oat flour and coconut milk (start with 1 cup and if you need more later, you can add it) in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients, then add the mixture to the pan.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until thickened and bubbling.
- Meanwhile, add dates to your high speed blender or mini food processor until a paste is formed.
- Tranfer half of the date paste to a bowl and stir in 1 tbsp date water, coconut milk, 2 tbsp of the walnuts (reserve the other 1 tbsp for serving), 1/2 tsp cinnamon and sultanas. This will be your Cinnamon Caramel.
- Combine the remaining date paste with the remaining cinnamon and 1 tsp date water. This will be your Cinnamon Caramel Swirl.
- Combine date water and 2 tbsp of the coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until bubbling, then turn down to medium-low and stir in remaining 1 tbsp coconut milk and stir occasionally.
- Combine cinnamon and coconut sugar in a small bowl.
- Place half of the Bread Oatmeal in your bowl (or put a quarter each into two bowls). Pour over the Cinnamon Caramel (or divide it between the two bowls). Top with remaining Bread Oatmeal. Spoon over the Cinnamon Caramel Swirl and swirl around with your spoon in a spiral pattern. Top with the Glaze, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Add extra coconut milk, walnuts and cinnamon as desired.
*Alternatively, cover the dates in water and microwave on high for 1 minute