Autumn so far has been constantly reminding me of spring. Afternoons abundant in golden setting sunlight, chilly mornings but stunning days, dew on the grass and condensation on the windows, still atmosphere, days cold but warm at the same time, butterflies…
Wait – I haven’t seen any butterflies this autumn.
Oh wait – yes I have; banana butterflies. On top of my oatmeal.
On the first day of daylight savings, since I technically woke up later and therefore the sun was already shining when I got up… I decided to make the most of the beautiful morning and make a beautiful breakfast to go with!
Now, there’s just something about Sundays. I don’t know why, but every Sunday I just get the urge to make myself a humongous bowl for brekkie.
Mostly, a humongous oatmeal bowl for brekkie.
So, since there was a brand new bottle of pomegranate molasses in the cupboard (which I’d never tried before!), I decided to do what I always do when there’s something new or interesting to be tried: make oatmeal with it!
And this pomegranate molasses oatmeal is seriously good. Just like my Nutty Vegan Thai-Style Pineapple-Soy Savoury Oatmeal and my much-loved Green Tea and Pomegranate Oatmeal with Walnuts, Figs and Dark Chocolate.
(I just realised the only oatmeals on this blog so far are pomegranate-based! :D)
It’s got a bit of tang to it (as you’d expect from pomegranate!), which is especially favoured by me (someone who can’t handle sweet-to-the-max!) – but just enough to notice.
As you’d imagine, it’s a rather sophisticated oatmeal – if you’d ask me! 😉
(Isn’t that just so beautiful? Oatmeal + morning autumn sunlight = oatlight 😂)
Jk, jk – oatmeal + autumn morning sunlight = serenity.
I swear, I would’ve scoffed that entire bowl right on the grass, outside in the sunlight.
Except like I said earlier – autumn mornings are cold but warm at the same time and there’s always dew on the grass.
So no thank you, I was not prepared to sacrifice my clean shorts to the inevitable grass-stain grass-covered grass-wet shorts they would become if I did decide to eat them on the grass.
So inside I went.
(THAT right there is what oatmeal should look like, people!)
POMEGRANATE MOLASSES OATMEAL WITH HAZELNUTS AND BANANA BUTTERFLIES
FOR THE POMEGRANATE MOLASSES OATMEAL
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup soy milk (or plant milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- pinch pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp hazelnuts, roughly chopped
FOR THE BANANA BUTTERFLIES
- 1/2 banana
- chia seeds, for sprinkling
- 2 bliss balls
- extra pomegranate molasses
- extra hazelnuts
POMEGRANATE MOLASSES OATMEAL
- Combine the oats and soy milk in a small saucepan. Cover and heat on high for 5 minutes.
- When boiling, remove lid and turn heat to medium-low, stirring for 2 minutes. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in pomegranate molasses, salt, vanilla extract and hazelnuts.
- Slice the banana into 5mm thick rounds. Cut each round into a butterfly (or a flower – or any shapes you like!) using mini cookie cutters.
- Place the Pomegranate Molasses Oatmeal in a bowl. Top with Banana Butterflies, chia seeds, bliss balls, extra pomegranate molasses and extra hazelnuts.