Guess what I got in my Christmas stocking last year?
(Yes, I still hang my Christmas stocking on the edge of the fireplace, and yes, I do get presents from Santa (aka Mr & Mrs Moore))
But you’ll never guess what I found in my Christmas stocking for 2016!
(By the way, mine is the snowman one!!)
- a can of coconut cream
- a bag of dried shiitake mushrooms
- a bottle of Culley’s Tijuana Green Chile Sauce (!!)
- a little bag of pine nuts (which I opened with a wide-eyed gasp of ecstatic-ness)
- anand a box of Red Seal Green Tea with Pomegranate teabags (which you can brew in hot OR cold water!)
I created this recipe with the aim of using these teabags in a completely new way…
Green tea pairs so well with dark chocolate, so to amp up this winter-themed flavour combo, I just needed to add some dried figs leftover from a savoury cake I made for Christmas, and some walnuts from my auntie and uncle’s tree, who hosted Christmas last year.
So yeah, this oatmeal has a bit of a story behind it. And you can feel these sentimental vibes just by making and eating this oatmeal…
Now of course, you can use any tea you like. I can imagine earl grey working SUPER well with these flavours!
But since I just LOVE this pomegranate green tea, that’s what I’ve used and if Red Seal tea is available to you, I suggest you try it!
Now into more detail:
This oatmeal ain’t what you were thinking. It’s not of the make-tea-then-add-it-to-oats kind.
This oatmeal is cooked with the teabag IN the saucepan as you cook them, to really give that flavour boost!
Talk about DELICIOUS.
Like who doesn’t like chocolate melting all through their oatmeal that has a teabag in it and a flower garden on top of it? I don’t know who.
Nope, sorry buddy. It’s all mine.
And it can be yours, too! Just scroll down and you’ll see how… 😍
GREEN TEA AND POMEGRANATE OATMEAL WITH WALNUTS, FIGS AND DARK CHOCOLATE
FOR THE OATMEAL
- 1 Red Seal Green Tea & Pomegranate teabag
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 dried figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 square dark chocolate (most >70% dark chocolates are vegan – check ingredients to be sure :D)
- 2 walnuts, chopped
- chia seeds
- coconut sugar
- edible flowers (I used violas and borage flowers)
- dried figs
- dark chocolate
- Place teabag in a small saucepan. Pour over 1 cup of boiling water and heat over medium for 2 minutes.
- Stir in rolled oats, dried figs and plant milk and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the oatmeal from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat. Stir through vanilla extract, coconut sugar, dark chocolate and walnuts.
- Pour into a bowl and top with chia seeds, coconut sugar, edible flowers, dried figs, walnuts and dark chocolate.
I hope you savour every last warm bite of this delicious oatmeal! 😀