I. LOVE. BURRITOS!
Like really, burritos are the bomb.
And power bowls? Omigosh, I’m OBSESSED!
So how about a burrito power bowl? Yes, I know you’re in!
This recipe has loads of veggie-ricey-deliciousness PLUS it uses the most AMAZING Smoked Paprika Tortilla Crisps, Sunflower Seed “Melted Cheese” and a really creamy coconut avocado cream!
So yeah…… I’d guess you could say that this is my FAVE recipe…. like ever. 😮
When I made this power bowl, I decided to add Athletic Avocado‘s Gluten-Free Pretzel Parmesan Crusted Avocado Fries. They are SERIOUSLY good! Just note: If you want to do add these as well, and still want the power bowl to be vegan, just sub the egg in the recipe for a flax egg.
I really recommend adding these avocado fries, because they really tie the dish together! Like.. without them, something is missing.
Something is seriously missing. 😦
BURRITO POWER BOWL WITH CREAMY COCONUT AVOCADO CREAM, SMOKED PAPRIKA TORTILLA CRISPS AND SUNFLOWER SEED “MELTED CHEESE”
FOR THE BOWL
- 1/3 cup dry brown rice
- kernels of 1/2 an ear of corn (about 2/3 cup)
- 2/3 cup black beans, pre-cooked and drained
FOR THE CREAMY COCONUT AVOCADO CREAM
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- pink Himalayan salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
FOR THE SUNFLOWER SEED “MELTED CHEESE”*
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked for at least 3 hours (ideally overnight)
- 1 tbsp water
- 5-6 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp ground pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
FOR THE SMOKED PAPRIKA TORTILLA CRISPS
- 1/2 wholemeal tortilla (or use the whole tortilla and get DOUBLE tortilla crisps 😉
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- smoked paprika, for sprinkling
- pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper, for sprinkling
- Smoked Paprika Tortilla Crisps
- hot sauce (vegan-friendly)
- coconut yoghurt
- baby corn*
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- fresh coriander
- alfalfa sprouts
- sunflower seeds
- edible flowers
- Gluten-Free Pretzel Parmesan Crusted Avocado Fries
Cover brown rice with boiling water and microwave on high for 15 minutes, or cook according to packet directions.Creamy Coconut Avocado Cream: Mash the avocado with the water until smooth. Add coconut cream and mix until smooth. Add salt and pepper, and stir through red onion. Set aside in the refrigerator.
SUNFLOWER SEED “MELTED CHEESE”
- Mash the avocado with the water until smooth. Add coconut cream and mix until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and stir through red onion. Set aside in the refrigerator.
SUNFLOWER SEED “MELTED CHEESE”
- Place the sunflower seeds in a high-speed blender with the water. Blend until a paste. Add the coconut cream 1 tbsp at a time, blending until smooth between additions.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt and turmeric. Blend until thoroughly combined. Set aside in the refrigerator.
SMOKED PAPRIKA TORTILLA CRISPS
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice the tortilla into 16 even wedges. Place on the prepared baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Bake for 5-7 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- Divide the rice between your bowls. Top with black beans and corn. Add your desired toppings, Creamy Coconut Avocado Cream and Sunflower Seed “Melted Cheese”.
* The Sunflower Seed “Melted Cheese” keeps well in the fridge (nowhere else though – don’t leave it out to fester!), so there’s no need to worry if all of this cheesiness is too much for you!
** Baby corn isn’t just small corn (well, it kinda is… but it’s like MINUSCULE corn). If you don’t know what it is, click here, or look refer to the photos in this post 😀